” I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” – Flannery O’Conner
One of my favorite quotes. One of my favorite because I feel the same way. I don’t know how I would make decisions or function really without being able to write.. and then read what I have written. Personally, I don’t think anyone who “writes” to write for others is really a writer. Even the Max Lucado’s of the world. I’d bet he learns something about himself or has some sort of personal growth every time he sits down and writes even if its for someone else.
Tonight I went to see the movie ‘Wild’ with Reese Witherspoon, based on the book written by Cheryl Strayed. I won’t give a full book club discush here but I will say I have not enjoyed a movie quite like this one in a while. Basically after a divorce and life and her mother dying girl decides to hike the pct trail… alone.
Since I am not a writer I am a list maker I will do just that including some random thoughts and quotes from the movie/book.
1. “I knew that if I allowed fear to overtake me, my journey was doomed. Fear, to a great extent, is born of a story we tell ourselves, and so I choose to tell myself a different story from the one women are told. I decided I was safe. I was strong. I was brave. Nothing could vanquish me.”
2. Reese Witherspoon is genuinely beautiful. Throughout the movie she looked so normal and plain, often very dirty but beautiful.
3. A lot of my life starting from moving non stop growing up till college – I didn’t really know where I was going until I got there. Which is basically the purpose of Cheryl’s adventure – to learn who to be and how to be when she got to the end of her hike. So she could stop arriving.
4. “If there’s one thing I can teach you, it’s how to find your best self and when you do, hold on to it for dear life.”
5. I have some strange attachment to literature – and this movie tied in so many good authors Emily Dickinson, Flannery O’Conner and a few others…
6. I love the grit and the incessant desire to deal with her ugly – inside and out.
Okay, I am done. Now go watch this movie.